Posted: 10th August 2012
Minutes to Prepare: 1 hour
Number of Servings: 8
12oz dark chocolate, broken small
1 cup of caster sugar
1 cup softened unsalted butter
1. Preheat oven to 160 or gas mark 7
2. Beat eggs with one third of the sugar until mixture quadruples in volume, heat the rest of the sugar in a sauce pan in one cup of water until sugar dissolves into syrup
3. Add the chocolate pieces and the butter, mix well, when smooth remove from the heat and leave to cool. Pour the mixture over the eggs while it is still slightly warm and continue to beat gently until it is smooth (no more than 20ish seconds)
4. Pour the mixture into a prepared cake tin (lined with non-stick paper and greased with butter then sprinkled with flour) place the tin into a roasting tray and fill the tray with hot water.
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes until set.
6. Cool the cake in the pan before turning out.
7. Optional…. Whipped cream, Fresh Raspberries and Chocolate curls