"THE PERFECT VEGETARIAN MAIN COURSE FOR YOUR CHRISTMAS DAY LUNCH"
HEAD CHEF AT 41 PORTLAND PLACE
Posted: 13th December 2019
Stuck for a vegetarian option for your Christmas Day lunch? Our Head Chef Irmantas recommends this hearty festive recipe
POTATO GNOCCHI WITH WILD MUSHROOMS, PUMPKIN AND CHESTNUTS
Serves: 4-6 people
Prep time: 30 minutes I Cooking Time: 40 minutes
600g Maris Piper or King Edward potatoes, unpeeled but cleaned
150g “00” pasta flour, plus extra for dusting
70g grated parmesan, plus extra to serve
2 egg yolks
A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
Oil for cooking
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
200g mixed wild mushrooms, larger ones torn
450g cooked pumpkin, diced
75g cooked chestnuts (these can be shop-bought), crumbled up
Knob of butter
Chopped flat leaf parsley, to serve
1. Place the whole potatoes in a pan of cold water, add a little salt and bring to the boil. Cook until tender through to the middle.
2. Drain and leave until cool enough to handle, then peel off the skin and put the potatoes though a potato ricer. Spread the riced potato over a large surface to cool to allow them to remain fluffy potato parcels.
3. When cooled, add the flour, parmesan and egg yolks along with some seasoning and the nutmeg.
4. Work the gnocchi dough together using a pastry cutter to chop and turn the potato over so it mixes together with the rest of the ingredients.
5. Continue, using your hands at the very end, until it comes together into a large ball.
6. Cut into eight equal pieces and roll each one into a sausage shape about 2cm in diameter, then cut the sausages into lozenges about 3cm long.
7. Rest the gnocchi on a floured board until you are ready to use them.
8. Heat a little oil in a pan and add the garlic and mushrooms. Sauté until the mushrooms have taken on a good colour then season well and add the diced pumpkin and crumbled chestnuts along with a knob of butter. Heat for a little longer to form a sauce.
9. To cook the gnocchi, bring a pan of salted water to the boil and drop in the gnocchi, cooking them until they float to the surface.
10. Drain them well and toss with the mushrooms and pumpkin. Serve with grated parmesan and chopped parsley.