Recipe of the month: “Queijadas de Sintra”
Will says:If you have been to Lisbon, you must have visited Sintra, its 30 minutes from Lisbon , just after Estoril and Cascais, its a lovely place, full of old buildings and has an amazing Palace at the top of the hill. One of the most famous sweet tarts in Portugal are the “queijadas de sintra”. The recipe below is true paradise for sweet tooth lovers!
Minutes to Prepare: 15
Number of Servings: 6
The tart base: 250g flour, a pinch of salt and a splash of water
The filling: 400 g of soft mozzarella
350 g sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 egg yolks, 60 g of flour
1. Prepare the dough 24 hours in advance to allow time to thicken. (to prevent the dough gaining a crust cover with a damp tea towel)
2. The next day prepare the filling by passing the cheese through a colander then mix in the sugar. Add in the egg yolks, flour and cinnamon and beat it all to obtain a homogeneous mix.
3. Using a rolling pin flatten the dough to a thin consistency adding flower as you go.
4. With circular cutter cut the dough into 6cm rounds.
5. Carefully push the dough into a tart tin and fill the cases with the prepared mixture.
6. Place the tarts into the oven for 8-10 minutes at around 180 °c